Handicapped parking is available in the food bank parking lot. If special assistance is necessary, please check in with food bank staff and they will arrange for a volunteer to help. A handicapped restroom is available on the upper floor (enter from street level or use elevator in the breezeway).

For those that are hearing impaired, please use the Sprint Washington Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) by calling 800-833-6388 (TTY), or 800-833-6384 (Voice)​

Frequently Asked Questions


  • Proof of current address - such as a phone bill, utility bill or rental agreement.


  • Current identification (ID) for all those residing in the household
    • Picture ID for all the adults (any photo ID such as driver's license or state ID, US or foreign government-issued ID card, Costco card, Student ID card, etc. are acceptable) 
    • Any ID for all the children (some examples include: medical coupon, birth certificate, school records/ID card, US or foreign government-issued ID card, etc.)

If you are missing any ID or proof of current address for your first visit, just come on in!  We'll get you food and work out with you what you need for future visits .


What to Bring:

What Food Bank Do I Go To?

Everyone in need will be served. There are income requirements to receive government food but all other food is served without restriction. You may come in for food once a month.  You can make unlimited visits to our bread and produce room.  

What if I earn too much?

We serve all the city of Des Moines. We also serve the city of SeaTac north to 160th Street. (North of 160th Street in SeaTac is served by the Highline Area Food Bank, located at 18300 4th Avenue South in Burien.)  We also serve the west hill in the city of Kent--west of Orillia Road between 188th Street and Kent-Des Moines Road.

If you have a question about which food bank serves your area, feel free to call us at 206-878-2660, or just come on in! We can serve you food once, and we will provide you information about the food bank that serves your area.